Called by Name [pick one!]
For the last 10 years, I’ve been waking up to a quilt on the wall opposite my bed. The colours were chosen as part of the “Name Game” challenge with a now-defunct online group: K[ohl] I[vory] G[old] to represent my initials. I added trapunto lettering “So that the Name of the Lord Jesus will be glorified in You” as a reminder that God calls us by name into His service so that we can bring Him glory. I never intended to keep this quilt: it was destined for a gift. Nonetheless,it’s ended up being a powerful reminder for me along this very unexpected path.
So….since the last time I typed at you, here’s where God has led me for His glory:
- our little home church has morphed into the “community church” for an independent living facility in nearby Ladysmith, British Columbia. “Bridges at LaRosa” is now the only church left of the original 5 home churches, but we’re faithfully carrying on and learning how to be the Body of Christ together with those who’ve largely been forgotten by their more traditional congregations.
- I’ve sought and received Lay Preacher credentials from Congregational Christian Churches in Canada. That makes me “Pastor Kim” to the dozen or so members of our little church — an important step for them and for me.
- I’ve largely let go of the Quilter’s Neighbourhood website, although I continue to sell the occasional book or PDF, but I’m still speaking, teaching beginner’s quilting and doing trunk shows.
- We have officially retired! As we always planned, we’ve had fun travelling in the last year: Las Vegas, Halifax, Saskatchewan [to cook at Katepwa Lake Bible Camp], Montreal [via the recently acquired elderly RV ” Gumpermobile”], Hawaii, Montreal again to see the granddaughters and their parents.
- Led the memorial service for my [adoptive] Mom. The only reason I’ve included the “adoptive” is because….
AFTER 55 years of wondering and looking, I’ve made contact with my family of origin: my birth mother died a couple of years ago, but through her obituary notice I found the names of my brother and an aunt. We’re in somewhat tentative contact, and lots of the pieces of the puzzle are still missing. Nonetheless, it feels like a whole new path. I’m honestly not even sure which name God is calling: for the first time in my life, HEATHER is as much me as KIM. Either way, I know I am called “Beloved.”
So, it continues to be an interesting journey: I hope there are still a few folks out there who would like to stop in and see where He’s taking me next. There will still be quilts [I forgot to mention the new-to-me longarm machine], perhaps a pattern or two to share. I make no promises, but I do know He’s up to something exciting and new, so I hope you’ll join me for the journey.
Kim [or maybe Heather]